Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Monday, September 24, 2007

Marathon of Doctors Appointments

Well, I’m at Mom’s again. We’ve taken to trying to combine several doctors’ appointments in one or two days so that when I come, we can make the most of my time here. We have two tomorrow, including a surgical consult. Then I need to figure out when I can come over to take care of her for a few days.

Even with combining the appointments, something always falls through the cracks. One of her doctors didn’t like something in the lab work he had ordered, so referred her to a hematologist. The guy is also an oncologist. Problem is, the referring doc didn’t tell her he was making the referral or why. So she got a call from this “cancer doctor’s” office to schedule an appointment last week. She had no idea why, but immediately started worrying. (And my mom has her PhD in worry!) After a weekend of near panic, she went to her primary, who explained that there was a minor abnormality in her blood work and not to worry. Of course, by then her blood pressure was into the danger zone.

My sister accompanied her to the hematologist, but didn’t get a diagnosis. So I still have no idea what’s really going on. Tomorrow I’ll need to stop by his office and see if they will tell me what’s going on. She has another appointment with him next week, which again I won’t be able to attend.

Meanwhile, another doc had ordered an MRI. She got the report and read into it all kinds of problems that weren’t there. Big words that look like something else. It’s almost as if she wants there to be something wrong.

I’m feeling smooshed again. There’s no way in can attend all of these appointments or keep up with what’s going on. I have to pick and choose, and I know that I’m going to miss something important. I think about what it would be like to move her to my area, but I don’t see that working, at least in the short run. And there’s no way I can spend more time here. At least I think there isn’t. Not only am I away from home and business, but also the gas alone costs almost $100 every trip. I hate feeling so out of control!

OK, enough belly aching for today. I’m so grateful that I’m able to come, that my husband is willing and able to come with me, and that she’s still in reasonably good health.

Labels: , ,

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home