Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Checklist for Aging Drivers

The Sierra Mountain Times has a useful checklist on evaluating the driving ability of your aging parents. If you’re worried about whether your parent is still safe in the car, this list will help you be more objective.

I’m pleased that my mom still seems to be a good driver. She got a new-to-her car a couple months ago. It’s so much nicer than the one she had, which had all of us concerned for her safety. When dad was sick, she just couldn’t manage to think about buying a car, even with help. A couple months ago, my brother came over before lunch, brought her a car to test drive, and completed the deal after lunch. It’s a great car and I feel so much better knowing she won’t have mechanical problems. And it’s fun to drive it too! We’re praying that she can continue driving for at least another couple of years.

Labels: ,

2 comment(s):

I have a lot of friends grappling with older parents who are not driving well. One of these drivers just had an accident and ended up in the hospital! It's hard to tell someone they shouldn't be driving.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 AM  

Lucky you that your mom is still a good driver--I wish my mother wasn't still driving. She's currently in a wheelchair recovering from leg surgery and talks all the time about looking forward to driving again. . . .aaahhh!

By Blogger Confessions from the sandwich generation, at 12:41 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home