Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Happy Birthday Bologna!

Today is the one-year anniversary of “Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna.” It’s hard to believe that I’ve been writing here for 365 days—157 posts. When I started, I had never blogged, and had no idea what I was getting myself into. It’s been a fun ride, and I’ve learned so much. In the process, I’ve met so many of my wonderful readers. You’ve all made the journey so much more interesting and I thank you for that.

My smooshed sandwich life has gone though several transitions over the past year. When I started, my step dad was in a nursing home. We moved him to a board and care home. He fell into the donut hole of Medicare Part D. and then in April he passed away and the focus shifted to my mom, who had been a bit player until then. Now she’s having health concerns, as well as dealing with the grief of losing her companion of 33 years. I continue to drive over about once a month and am managing more of her health care needs now. My son was married and is establishing his own home and career. We’ve grappled with appropriate parenting of an adult son and daughter-in-law. And now, I’ve started school.

Yep, as if I didn’t have enough to do, I’ve started seminary. Why? Because I can! It’s been a dream for over 20 years, and finally all of the excuses have vanished. I had my first class this weekend, and I’m thrilled. I’m working on a Masters in Theology. I say “working on” because I may never finish it. If I do, I’ll be too old to do much with it. But I’ll have fun in the process, and as they say, the next five years will go by anyway. And it’s bound to keep me young.

So, thank you for a great year. I’m looking forward to the next one. Do let me know what you like and don’t like about this blog. What do you want more of—or less of? How can I serve you in your Gen Sandwich endeavors? What are you dealing with? Where are your victories?

So Happy Birthday Bologna!

Labels:

5 comment(s):

Happy Blogaversary!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:17 PM  

Happy day! More brief anecdotes and maybe tips on dealing with older parents.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:21 AM  

Happy Blogaversary!

By Blogger Liza on Maui, at 8:31 AM  

Thanks for your kind words and your faithful readership.

By Blogger Pat, at 10:46 PM  

Yay! Thanks so much for sharing your journey; I'm glad we're part of Club Sandwich together! My mom is 71, and lives upstairs at my house; I love her dearly, but she drives me crazy sometimes, too. It's nice to drop by and know that others understand. Looking forward to another Bologna year!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:54 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home