Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Face in the Mirror



What do you see when you look in the mirror? Seriously. What do you see? A tired, worn out GenSandwich face or a joyful person?

My life seems to move three times as fast as I'd like it to. Like you, I juggle work, school, family, and an aging parent. What I noticed was that my face had taken on a permanent droop. The edges were turned down into a permanent scowl. I wasn’t really mad – just looked mad. And old.

So I made a decision. I was going to smile. I was going to look happy whether I felt like it or not. No need to make everyone else miserable, even if I was. Throughout the day, I'd remind myself to SMILE. And you know what? I not only looked better, I FELT better.

At first it was hard. I was using muscles that hadn’t been used very often. But not it’s almost second nature. No, I don’t smile all the time, but I sure smile more and longer than I used to. Feels good.

I've heard that you can’t smile and be unhappy at the same time. That it’s a physical impossibility. That a smile actually activates something in the brain that requires a mood to match the face. I don’t know if that’s true, but I know that as soon as I make my face smile, my mood improves. And I look a lot better too. Try it. Let me know how it works.

Labels: , ,

2 comment(s):

I have noticed that there are lines forming unattractively on my face! A friend uses a device to exercise her facial muscles. I'm thinking that i might need to smile more. It may help the lines, or it will at least disguise them. :) Thanks for the great post. This is my first visit to your site.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:28 PM  

Welcome, Sandi. I hope you'll look around and come back often. I've been noticing that I don't notice lines in the faces of those people who wear a smile. It just makes us more attractive and lights up the atmosphere around us at the same time.

By Blogger Pat, at 1:49 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home