Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Thursday, May 21, 2009

One Of Those Weeks


It’s been one of those weeks. We are at Mom’s. She has several skin cancers that need to be removed over the next several weeks. She had the first and worst one done yesterday. She saw a Mohs micrographic surgeon, who removed a piece of skin roughly one inch by two inches from the middle of her forehead. Yikes! He barely got the wound closed. Needless to say, she’s in incredible pain. Unfortunately, her skin heals very slowly. They want her to return to remove the stitches next week, but I can’t imagine it will be healed by then.

The Mohs surgery is pretty amazing. They remove the cancer and then examine it under a special microscope to make sure they got it all. Some of the margins were not clear, so after an hour of waiting (sitting there with this huge open wound) the doctor came back in and removed more. This time (and hour later) the margins were clear and he was able to stitch her up. Amazing technology. Exhausting day.

Today I took her to her primary doc for an unhealed wound on her leg – from her last fall. Her leg has been swelling and yesterday it was quite inflamed. He thinks it’s doing OK even though it’s been weeks. She has another cut on her arm – also not healing well. And she has three more skin cancers to remove. This is going to be a long summer for all of us.

I feel bad that I need to leave tomorrow, but I have class on Saturday and a party on Monday for friends from the east coast that we haven't’ seen in at least 15 years. My brother is coming to help Mom out for the weekend. Every time I experience this, I wonder what my only-child son and DIL will do. Smooshed anyone?

Labels: , , ,

4 comment(s):

Pat, So sorry about your mom's skin cancer! That can be so rough. I pray her healing will be swift.

It's an awkward time to mention this, but I just got honored with the "One Lovely Blog Award" and now I'm passing the honor to you. I love your blog and can relate so often to what you post--even though you post infrequently and I check in infrequently.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) the award post will show up in 777 Peppermint Place (http://lindayezak.wordpress.com) and you can copy it from there.

You're not required to play along, but if you'd like to, here's what you do:

Accept the award, post it on your blog with the name and blog link of the person who gave you the award.

Pass the award along to 10 other blogs you’ve newly discovered (or some of your favorites). Remember to contact the bloggers to let them know they have been chosen for this award.

Like I said, you're not required to do any of the above, but I wanted to tell you your blog is mentioned in tomorrow's post.

If you have any question, let me know!

Linda

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 PM  

Linda, thanks so much for honoring me with this award! I appreciate it. I always enjoy your blog when I can get over there. Now, to think about my favorites.... Stay tuned....

By Blogger Pat, at 10:45 PM  

Sorry to hear things are rough for you both.

I'm an only child, you "just do it". It's been tough, but I'm still here.

By Anonymous Elizabeth, at 8:20 PM  

I lost my dad to cancer after he battled it for 5 years. My mom is now struggling with high blood pressure and diabetes. I live away from her but try to drive up to see her whenever possible. I also have children and 2 grandchildren I take care of a few times a week. I'm hoping to help people of all ages with these issues.

www.heartsease-calls.com

Thank you

Gail Lambert

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:08 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home