Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Thinking about a Joint Replacement?

As my regular readers know, I’ve been considering – and trying to avoid – a hip replacement for a couple of years now. It’s been hard to know if it’s time. One doctor said I could wait, but not to wait so long that I became incapable of walking. That would make the recovery harder. I understand that, but am also incredibly determined to not do the replacement. I just don’t think I’d do well, no matter what. So I’ve been experimenting with a combination of prayer and targeted exercises. So far, so good. I’m actually more mobile and in less pain than a year ago. I’ll keep you posted.

However, if you’re thinking about a replacement, Healthfinder.gov offers a checklist for your consideration. It’s pretty basic, but a good starting point. Have any of you had a joint replacement? What was your experience? What would you recommend to those of us still considering it?

Labels: , ,

2 comment(s):

Pat, I haven't had a joint replacement, but I am a physical therapist who used to work with patients who had had them. In my experience hip replacements have a much better recovery rate, great relief almost instantly etc., whereas knee replacements were a much harder road, tougher rehab etc. Most people who had hip replacements were amazed at how much better they felt right away, and how very fast their recovery was. (there are a lot of anatomical reasons for this) I wish you the best no matter what you decide.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:51 AM  

A fifty-something friend had one this summer and is experiencing tremendous relief from chronic pain. He recommends it highly.

By Blogger Sandy, at 9:33 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home