Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Still Feeling Smooshed

Thanks to all who have sent good wishes regarding our latest saga. Brother #2 was able to get a week’s vacation and did an amazing job caring for Mom and arranging all of the care she needed while we flew off to a graduation.

He’s never done anything like this before. I’ve handled all of the medical, legal, and financial details, so dealing with doctors, home health, Meals on Wheels, and Life Alert stretched him tremendously. I was very comfortable with the decisions he made. We talked a couple of times per day and I was able to help him decide who to call and what questions to ask, but it was up to him to understand the details and sign the contracts. As far as I can tell, he did fine.

I’m writing this from the Chicago airport on our way home. We have two days to do laundry and open the mail. I have class all day Saturday, and then our plan is to go over to Mom’s on Sunday or Monday so I can see for myself how she’s doing. When I talk to Mom, she’s always upbeat and tells me she’s doing just fine. Unfortunately, she doesn’t always tell me the truth. In the past she’s fallen and even blacked out and never told me. So I don’t trust her words. That’s so frustrating. How do you deal with that?

I must confess that I’m frustrated with needing to go over next week. We traveled to see our son and DIL in late April/early May. We were home for a week, with an all day class and then left for this trip. We’ve been gone since the 13th and are exhausted. I was so looking forward to staying home for a while and getting my garden in. I’m already late for California; I’ll be harvesting for Thanksgiving! I know—welcome to Gen Sandwich….

Labels: ,

2 comment(s):

Hang in there, I soooo know what you're going through. Get into your garden and just look at it, even if you can't spend a day digging. Nature will take care of your tired soul if you take time to look at it. You are doing a tremendous job under very difficult circumstances. Good for you.

By Blogger Sandy, at 9:16 AM  

Sandy, thanks for your concern and good ideas. I do need to get outside, altho it's so cold and windy I can't do much. But everything is in bloom. The azaleas and rhodos and our wonderful pink tree that I don't know what it is.

By Blogger Pat, at 11:19 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home