Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Vigorous Exercise Slows Aging

Well, we knew it. Now the studies confirm it. Vigorous walking for an hour a day five times a week can chop a dozen years off the biological age of people 64 and older, according to Roy Shephard, M.D., Ph.D., of the University of Toronto, reported online in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

A review of recent studies in patients age 64 and older showed that such a regimen can boost maximal oxygen intake by about 25% within three months, effectively decreasing biological age by about 12 years. That sounds good to me!

I know I need to exercise more, and I know that lack of exercise is at least partially to blame for my health problems now. I really do need to develop some better habits, but darn I hate exercise! Now I’ve got an arthritic hip that has kept me from walking much for a couple of years. I think the time for replacement is drawing near, but the thought of allowing anyone to cut off the bone in my leg makes me more than a little squeamish. Oh the joys of aging.

Labels: ,

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home