Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sedentary Lifestyle Increases Aging

It’s no secret. We all know this. But a recent study in the
Archives of Internal Medicine showed that a sedentary lifestyle (in addition to smoking, high body mass index, and low socioeconomic status) has an effect on leukocyte telomere length (LTL) and may accelerate the aging process. This provides a powerful message that could be used by clinicians to promote the potentially anti-aging effect of regular exercise.

I confess. I hate exercise. I much prefer sitting in front of the computer day and night. But I was talking with a friend today, discussing the disconnect we feel between our chronological ages and the ages we feel, both physically and emotionally. We were admitting that we don’t get enough exercise, with the result that we have more aches and pains that we ought to. So while we feel young at heart, we feel old of body. And since we’re both committed to aging well, we agreed that we need to make a commitment to exercise more.

So, I asked hubby to unearth the treadmill, which was buried in the garage under piles of “stuff.” What a good sport. He did it right away, and I was able to take a break from studying this afternoon and go for a walk, despite the rain. Now, one day down—a lifetime to go. Let’s start growing those leukocyte telomeres.

Labels: , ,

1 comment(s):

Pat,

Is there any way that I can get in touch with you other than the comment field? I'm trying to get in touch with members of the sandwich generation.

Thanks,
Brian Retchless
brian_retchless@wgbh.org

By Blogger WGBH Lab, at 11:50 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home