Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Another Flavor of Gen Sandwich

A few days ago I read a fascinating post by Sherrie Ashcraft on The Mother Blog. She wrote about her particular flavor of sandwich, and then added some details in the comment section of my January 25 post.

She wrote, in part,
In my blog I mentioned about us moving my mother-in-law here from AZ. That was an extremely difficult decision to make, as it meant breaking up her marriage! Let me explain: she lived with her second husband in the home of a lady who cared for both of them. But as Mother's Alzheimer's worsened, the lady was no longer able to care for her and the doctor said she needed to go to a facility. No way were we going to have her somewhere like that, with no family around, when we lived two states away. So after much prayer we felt the best thing for her was to be close to us. Her husband was too frail to move, plus his daughter would not allow it. So, the day after their 20th anniversary, we took Mother away on the plane with us. Kind of felt like the bad guys, there for awhile, though Mother was very happy with the move. She talks to her husband on the phone most weeks and they continue to tell each other how much they love each other. And she continually reminds him that God is in control of their lives and eventually, they will be together.

By the way, I'm the oldest of five, and also known as "the responsible one."

I wanted to make sure that you all had a chance to read her story. Yes, she’s unique. But so are you. I’d love to hear your story. Susan, Elizabeth, and Pete also left comments worth reading. There are as many flavors as sandwiches as there are readers out there. Let’s build community.

Labels: , ,

2 comment(s):

Wow, thanks for sharing my story, Pat. I wasn't expecting that! And you're right--we all have stories to share and need that connection.

By Blogger Sherrie Ashcraft, at 10:18 PM  

sherrie, that is a heartbreaking but poignant and lovely story all at once. Wow.

I have a "sandwich" column over at Literary Mama. Come visit me there!

http://www.literarymama.com/columns/sandwich/

By Blogger Susan, at 11:13 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home