Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Protect your Marriage

In an article entitled “The Cluttered Nest Syndrome,” Sheri & Bob Stritof, offer nine tips for maintaining a successful intergenerational household. They suggest that clear communication and self-care are essential for Gen Sandwichers.

I find that even though my parents live several hours away, the time and emotional energy required to keep up with their needs puts stress on our marriage. My husband always knows when I’ve had a difficult conversation with Mom. It’s important to know what you can handle and what your spouse can handle. I’m still learning to set boundaries and not become enmeshed with my parents’ issues. It’s not easy, but it is essential. And healthy. And it’s OK.

Labels: ,

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home