Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Friday, December 23, 2011

A Very Different Christmas



Merry Christmas to you! I hope that this season finds you and yours in good health, good cheer, and good company.

We’re enjoying a very different Christmas. For the first time in 27 years, we don't have our son with us. His wife’s father passed away this week, so they are staying close to home and her family. We support this decision wholeheartedly, and in fact, encouraged it. But we sure miss them! It doesn’t feel quite like Christmas.

We took the opportunity of the empty house to bring Mom over for the holidays. Our house is too small to host all of them together, so she hasn’t been here in many years. We surprised her with the trip as her Christmas gift. To my surprise, she didn’t even argue. She does love to “go someplace” and I guess our house is “someplace.” It’s been interesting having a 90 year old here. I tend to move in double time most of the time. Fortunately I was much further ahead this year – presents bought and wrapped, menus planned, shopping lists made — but there are still many things I could only do this week. Or that I didn’t get to last week. We’ve found a nice balance. I get a lot done while she’s napping, a bit more while she’s reading, and she can help with some things. The weather has been lovely (cold, but clear) so we’ve walked every day. And we’ve planned one excursion a day. I do believe she’s having a good time and I'm cherishing the time with her.

It’s a year of transitions. I know there will be Christmases without Son. This, the first, seems the hardest. And I know the time will come, probably soon, when there will be no more Christmases with Mom. And I know that each year it gets harder for hubby and I to do all we’ve loved to do – the entertaining, the decorating, the treks to the City. So today, this week, I'll cherish what we have, who we’re with, and what we can do. I hope you can do the same. Live in the present, enjoy what you have, and decide to have the best Christmas ever. Merry Christmas! And God bless us, every one.

2 comment(s):

Pat, we are in a similar situation. Christmas morning won't be here for the first time in 33 years. It has been a much more spiritually awake season for me, as I have retired from shopping and decorating. Sweet time with Jesus.
Hope your day with your mom goes well, and as an oldest daughter, I understand the responsibility you carry. blessings, Marilyn

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 AM  

Yes, I think many of us are in this position. It happened to our parents, and now is happening to us. We must learn to adapt or be miserable. Have a blessed Christmas.

By Blogger Pat, at 12:05 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home