Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Taking Care of the Caregiver



I've been writing about being a caregiver on hospital duty. On Monday, I wrote about taking care of yourself when your loved one is in the hospital. Today I saw a great article called How to Unwind: 4 Tips for Caregivers which offers even more ideas for taking care of yourself, whether you are at the hospital or caring for a loved one at home.

Today I spent most of the day on the phone trying to manage Mom’s care in a rehab facility that’s four hours away. I had hoped she would be discharged when I'm there next week, but it doesn’t look like that will happen then, and her therapists want her to go from rehab to assisted living before going home. So, tomorrow I get to spend the day on the phone arranging for assisted living. This puts me way behind on my own work, and leaves “fun” somewhere in the “in between” moments. I need reminders like this to enjoy the moments when I can. Otherwise, life becomes very barren...

What do you do to take care of yourself in the midst of caregiving? Share your strategies with us.

Photo Courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons/Joost J. Bakker IJmuiden 

Labels: ,

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home