Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Here’s a Scary Fact

Busy mother on telephone
Photo: PicApp

While reading Find your Strongest Life last week, I came across a frightening fact. Author Marcus Buckingham says,

“When we multitask, we’re dumber. How much dumber? A recent study for Hewlett Packard exploring the impact of multitasking on performance revealed that the average worker’s functioning IQ drops ten points when multitasking, more than double the four-point drop that occurs when someone smokes marijuana. (The analogy the researchers used is that a ten-point drop in IQ is equivalent to missing one night’s sleep.”

Now that’s a scary thought. When is the last time I didn’t multitask? Isn’t that the definition of a GenSandwicher? I type while on hold. I talk to Mom while cleaning off my desk. I write my blog while watching TV. I click onto email and Facebook far too often when I should be writing or studying. I wonder how smart I’d be if I could focus? And I wonder if there is an age-adjustment? Does my IQ drop even more because I’m over 60? Hmmm. Scary.

Labels: , ,

2 comment(s):

Now I know why I always have a headache . My life is nothing but multitasking.



http://alzheimersandmomblog.blogspot.com/

By Blogger karen, at 2:56 PM  

I wonder if we have a 10 point drop for each task we multi? So if I'm cooking, talking to Mom, and checking email, do I drop 20 or 30 points? I could be in trouble!

By Blogger Pat, at 11:27 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home