Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Monday, August 03, 2009

So Long, Status Quo: What I Learned from Women Who Changed the World


If you’re looking for an inspiring and motivational read for the summer, may I recommend So Long, Status Quo: What I Learned from Women Who Changed the World by Susie Flory.

Susy’s life was a lot like her couch – comfortable, uninviting, and safe. Then she discovered the stories of nine women who sacrificed personal comfort and convenience for a cause greater than themselves. Now I’ve read and appreciated a lot of inspiring books, but Susy took it a step further. She got up off her sofa and did something inspired by each of these women. She sold her jewelry to provide clean water to Africa. She co-authored a book to challenge The Da Vinci Code. She fasted. She took a mission trip to Cuba. She allowed these women to challenge her complacency and in the process, developed a new outlook on life.

I confess that as a Boomer, I’m sort of in between active and passive. I want to do a lot of things, but my stamina and energy fight me most of the time. I was inspired by Susy to try something new every day. Even if it’s something as simple as driving a different route or ordering something other than my “usual,” change is good. I’m auditing a class I don’t need this summer, just because it’s interesting. What are you doing to stay sharp? Involved? Interested?

Labels: ,

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home