Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Queen of the Castle

Just in time for Mothers’ Day, here’s a change of pace for Gen Sandwichers who still have children at home or perhaps for those who have a daughter or DIL with children at home. I just received a fun book called “Queen of the Castle: 52 Weeks of Encouragement for the Uninspired, Domestically Challenged or Just Plain Tired Homemaker” by Lynn Bowen Walker. Even though I’m past the life stage she writes about, I’m loving every page of it and finding it easy to apply the principles to my own experiences.

With humor, compassion and a survivor’s instinct for the relevant, Walker serves up a collection of advice, tips, tricks, recipes —and much more—in chapters with titles like “Housework, Done Correctly, Can Kill You,” and “Trippity Doo-Dah: The Family Vacation.” But she doesn’t stop there. The queen herself needs nurturing, and Walker makes sure that there’s plenty of encouragement for anyone who’s uninspired . . . or just plain tired. This includes life-generating biblical truths and prayers, as well as rejuvenating chocolate recipes and other pampering pointers.

The chapter I related to as a Gen Sandwicher was “Schedules (or Which of the 568 Volunteer Opportunities Should I Sign Up For?).” In it she says,

An older friend whose children are grown encouraged me recently to put most of my time into being with my children rather than volunteering for various causes. “Because in two years,” she said, “you’ll have forgotten 98 percent of those people you accomplished things with. But you’ll have a relationship with your kids until you’re in the grave.”

Amen.

I love the format and layout. Lots of short segments, quotations, definitions of words I’ll never remember, chocolate recipes, and tongue in cheek humor make it a perfect bathroom book. Or doctors’ office book. Or a moment of encouragement before you start your day.

So do yourself or a loved one a favor and pick up this book for Mothers’ Day. It’ll help you put things in perspective.

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home