Sometimes I Feel Like a Piece of Bologna

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Gifts for Aging Parents

Associated Content has a great article on gift ideas for aging parents. Clearly, they have enough stuff. I know I’m always trying to encourage Mom to get rid of stuff. Their ideas are ways to show love while not adding to the clutter.

Labels: , ,

5 comment(s):

My mom wouldn't consider having someone come in to clean her house, even though she didn't have the energy to do it anymore. And she didn't throw out anything, either. She is still saving scraps of paper and plastic bags, etc. in the assisted living. It is far beyond the "depression mentality." Probably a compulsive disorder.

Now we have to deal with the house. :-(

By Blogger LoieJ, at 5:28 AM  

Isn't our time the most valuable gift from which we get the most back?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 AM  

p.s., your comment reminds me of my post on March 10 (http://generationsandwich.blogspot.com/2007/03/get-your-estate-in-order.html)
Sadly, this seems to be common among the elderly. And yes, we are left with the mess.

Lisa, I agree, but I wonder if our parents feel that way. Mine don't seem to appreciate time as much as things. And of course, they don't need more stuff and to me, time is my most scarce assset...

By Blogger Pat, at 8:24 PM  

I lost my mother a few years ago, and it taught me a lesson. So I got together all those old family pictures – you know, the ones stuck in envelopes piled in boxes probably shoved in a corner of the attic. It’s always a shocking reminder of how time passes. I was quickly lost in the sea of memories, but I combed through the stacks and pulled out a collection of the ones that spoke to me from my Dad’s history.

Over the next few weeks I put together a Slideshow/Movie showing my Dad’s life history up to that point including baby pictures, young boyhood, college athletics, love, children, business – everything right up to shots I took at his 83rd birthday when the whole family of his 4 kids and their grandchildren got together to be with Dad.

It was so powerful to present him with this tribute on DVD. He was deeply moved, and so was the whole family. He and his wife watched it many times over the next few years before he passed away.

Because of the power of this experience, I have begun offering these Tribute DVD’s to others. You can see a few snippets from a few at http://www.TributesDVD.com I’d appreciate any thoughts, observations, ideas – anything that may help me make these better and better. And if you know of any Boomers whose families might be interested, please give them my contact information.

By Blogger TributesDVD Blog, at 3:06 PM  

What a great idea, and service. Blessings!

By Blogger Pat, at 11:21 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home